The Rector of the Free University of Bozen/Bolzano
||Prof. Walter A. Lorenz
The Rector is nominated by the University Council and carries out, among others, the following functions:
Walter A. Lorenz
- coordinates the academic activities of the University;
- formulates proposals and sees to the executions of the decisions of the University Council on scientific and didactic matter;
- exersises the disciplinary authority towards students and academic staff according to the regulations in force;
- represents the University in the academic and cultural cerimonies and in the award of academic titles;
- contracts, along with the University Council President, the agreements with the Autonome Provinz Bozen concerning the objectives that the University aims to reach.
completed a degree in Theology and Philosophy at the University of Tübingen and then a postgraduate vocational qualification in Social Work (M.Sc.) at the London School of Economics in 1976. In the seventies he worked as a social worker in London in the area of youth work.
From 1978 he was a lecturer in Social Work at the National University of Ireland, University College Cork where he was also appointed Jean Monnet ‘Professor for European Social Policy’ in 1995. Since 2001, he has been in charge of the degree course in Social Work at the Faculty of Education at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano and has been rector of that same institution since 2008.
He has been involved in various research projects at both a European and national level concerning social work and in particular in the development of European professional courses.
For more information and appointments with the Rector, please contact the Secretary of the Rectorate