What is UniTandem?
In each session the participants working in tandem use their own language for half of the meeting and their partner‘s language for the other half. In this way they provide support for each other as they learn the new languages together. At the beginning of this autonomous learning experience advisors will provide them with useful tips and guidelines to help them work as successfully as possible.
In order for UniTandem to work properly, participants should be able to talk about themselves. Therefore, they should have working knowledge, at least of the past tenses
in their Tandem language.
Advantages of UniTandem:
- real communication with someone with a different mother tongue
- independent learning where personal study skills can be developed
- exchange of language and cultural experiences
- flexible learning where time, place and commitment are defined by the participants themselves
- topics and activities can be chosen depending on the interests of the couples
The basic UniTandem rules
- to meet my partner regularly
- to use both languages in Tandem learning, i.e. to be both the “teacher” and the “learner"
- not to confuse the two languages in conversation and to devote equal time to both