New rules regarding certificates and self-declarations (art. 15, law 12.11.2011, no. 183)
The Italian stability law (art. 15, law 12.11.2011) introduced, starting January 1st, 2012, the following new dispositions regarding certificates and self-declarations:
- Certificates issued by Italian public administrations regarding personal states, qualities and facts are valid and can be used among private parties only.
- Italian public administrations cannot request nor accept certificates issued by other Italian public offices. Certificates are always substituted by self-declarations when submitted to public administrations or to private managers of public services (articles 40, 46 and 47 of the D.P.R. 28.12.2000, no. 445).
- Certificates attesting personal states, qualities and facts must contain - under pain of nullity - the following caption: “This certificate cannot be submitted to public administration organs or to private managers of public services”.
Certificates can be requested for the following uses only:
- if destined for private parties in Italy
- for use abroad
- for the Italian Police Headquarters/“Questura” for the issue/renewal of the permit to stay.
As established in the D.P.R. no. 642/1972 and following modifications, certificates and their applications for issue, require, from the origin, a current value duty stamp (14,62 Euro) to be affixed.
In the exemption cases contemplated by the law, the applicant does not have to affix the duty stamp on the application nor on the issued certificate. The applicant, upon submitting his/her request, must expressly indicate the use the certificate is destined to.
If you need a certificate (enrolment/exam certificate, final degree certificate with or without passed exams) for one of the reasons mentioned above, please use the form you can find on the right of this page.
If the certificate can be issued free from duty stamps, you will have to indicate in the form the use and the law reference which establishes the exemption.
You will also find a sample self-declaration form for use at public administrations in Italy.
|You have the chance to print – at the E-point terminals located in Bozen-Bolzano, Brixen-Bressanone and Bruneck-Brunico, with your student card – pre-filled self-declarations containing your personal and university enrolment data, with passed exams transcript option.
These declarations must be used as a substitute for certificates at all public administration offices in Italy. If both parties agree, self-declarations can also be used between private parties.
We offer you this new service so that you can avoid mistakes when filling in a declaration, because false declarations are considered a criminal offence.
Pre-filled declarations can be greatly useful: You just have to print them out, check the data and sign them!
Further information regarding self-declarations (Comune di Bolzano - Italian/German only)