Skip to content

Free University of Bozen-Bolzano

Bachelor and Master Programmes (non eu citizens resident abroad)

Applying for a Bachelor

Qualifications required

You need to have a qualification that is equivalent to the Italian diploma, obtained at the end of at least 12 years of secondary education, and you will have to provide a declaration certifying the value of such qualification. If the length of your secondary education cycle is less than 12 years, then the regulations set by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research apply.

If in your country an aptitude test is required to gain access to higher education, you will need to include the results of that test when applying to our university. For some qualifications (e.g. US high school, UK and Greece qualifications, etc.) the Italian Ministry of Education has set specific admission criteria.


Linguistic entry requirements

In order to enrol on any of our Bachelor degree courses, you need to have obtained a B2 level certification in at least two of the three languages in which the modules are taught (Italian, German and English). For more information, please check the 'Manifesto degli studi' (Study guidelines) for the course you are interested in.

In addition, you will also have to take an Italian language test, which is normally held in the Bozen-Bolzano campus at the beginning of September. You will not need to take this test if you already have an Italian language qualification accredited by the Italian Ministry of Education. You will be required to hand in a copy of this certificate at the Italian consulate or embassy together with your application to unibz.

Applying for a Master

Qualifications required

You can check which qualifications are required for admission to the course you wish to apply for in the text 'Manifesto degli studi' for the course you are interested in. In any case, in your application you will need to include a declaration of equivalent value of your qualification certifying that in your country, with such qualification, you would have access to a higher education course equivalent to the one you are applying for at unibz.


Linguistic entry requirements

In order to apply for some Master degree courses, you need to prove that you can speak at least two of the three languages in which the modules are taught (Italian, German and English). However, some Master degree courses are only taught in English. For more information, please check our 'Manifesto degli studi' (Study guidelines) for the course you are interested in.

Application procedure (Bachelor and Master degree courses)


  1. Apply online, following the guidelines detailed in the text 'Manifesto degli studi' for the course you are interested in.
  2. If you see your name in the list of successful applicants, you need to hand in your application to the closest Italian embassy or consulate in your country. You can only apply for one course. The application has to be handed in to an Italian embassy or consulate usually between April and July. Your application at unibz will be void if you don't apply through an Italian embassy or consulate!

Please request an appointment at the closest Italian embassy or consulate in your country well in advance (even a year before!), discussing with the staff the documents that you are required to hand in.

In the text 'Manifesto degli studi' related to the course you are interested in, you can find more information on how to take part to the selection process once you have applied and, if your name is on the list of successful non-EU resident applicants living abroad, on how to confirm your place at our university and then register.

Tuition fees, scholarships and accommodation

Tuition fees for studying at unibz amount to €1345,50 per year (to be paid in two instalments). Here you can read more about the living costs in the various cities where our campuses are located.

During the first year, you will have to pay for the living costs yourself.

After a year of residing in South Tyrol (a status you will have to prove by being registered as a resident in the municipality where you are going to live), you can apply for a student scholarship funded by the Provincia autonoma di Bolzano. You might be eligible for the scholarship if you meet the criteria of income and merit.

You can also search for more information about other scholarships funded by the Italian government specifically for foreign students.

Please make sure you arrange for your accommodation well in advance in the campus city where you are going to be based (Bozen-Bolzano, Brixen-Bressanone or Bruneck-Brunico).

Arriving in Italy

If your name is in the list of successful applicants for your chosen course, the Italian embassy or consulate will provide you with a visa for study purposes. This can be obtained by showing an Admission letter, issued by unibz. Admission letters will only be issued to admitted candidates who have already paid the first instalment of the tuition fees. Details about the payment are indicated in the Study Manifesto and in the ranking list published by 15 May 2018. This will enable you to come to Italy to take your language test (for degree courses), the aptitude test (if required) and to register.

By law, you will have to apply for a residence permit within 8 working days since arriving in Italy. As soon as you arrive, please go to the Advisory Service of unibz, where you will be provided with all the information you need.

How to obtain a residence permit

With a residence permit for study purposes, you will be able to work part-time for no more than 20 hours a week and no more than 1,040 hours per year. Once you have completed your studies, if you have been offered a job, you can have your study purposes residence permit converted into a work permit. By proving that you meet the criteria set by the government for your type of job, you will earn a score, according to the law that regulates work immigration quotas.

For more information and advice, please contact the Advisory Service at

Italian tax identification number (Codice fiscale)

When in Italy, you will need to request a 'codice fiscale', the unique Italian tax identification number attributed to Italian citizens for their interaction with the government and local administration.

To obtain one, you need to go to the local office of the Agenzia delle Entrate (the Italian revenue agency) with your passport and proof that you have applied for the residence permit.


In order to obtain state healthcare and register with a GP while you are studying here, you will need to go to the local health unit (Azienda Sanitaria Locale - ASL) to register with the Italian national health service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - SSN) and bring the following documents:

  • proof of registration to the university,
  • passport,
  • tax identification number (codice fiscale),
  • residence permit or proof that you have applied for the residence permit,

and, if you are a scholarship recipient:

  • a letter documenting the scholarship.

The amount of the contribution will amount to:

  • €149,77 for students without dependent relatives and who don't have other income beyond the scholarship nor other benefits from any Italian public institution (e.g. government or local authority);
  • or €387,34 for students with dependent relatives;
  • or, if you have an income other than the one from scholarships (in Italy or abroad), 7,5% of your income (minimum amount: €387,34). These amounts will be valid for the whole calendar year (from 1st January to 31st December), they cannot be divided and cannot be paid retroactively.

Their validity cannot in any case go beyond the expiry date of the residence permit.

Feedback / Request info