Skip to content

Free University of Bozen-Bolzano

Stand with Ukraine

Support measures for refugee students from Ukraine

As an academic community that thrives on diversity and welcomes an international faculty and student body, we share a deep concern for the Ukrainian population. For this very reason, unibz is opening its doors to students who fled Ukraine in 2022.

20 students enrolled at Ukrainian universities who fled to Italy will be selected to continue their studies temporarily at unibz.

They will be able to register for:

  • single subject courses, and
  • special language courses.

They will be exempted from tuition fees, will receive a monthly financial support during the 2nd semester of the 2021/22 academic year, will be able to eat in the university canteen, and use the local transportation services free of charge.

In addition, the local government's office for Education Support is making an effort to find free accommodation for them.

Only the first 20 students who apply for this programme and select single subject courses will be admitted and will therefore receive financial support.

In addition to this offer, students enrolled at Ukrainian universities can also enrol only in special language courses free of charge, but if they do not register also for single subject courses they will not be entitled to financial support.

The Advisory Service offers information and support in selecting the single subject courses.


Students currently enrolled at any Ukrainian university can apply to be admitted to this special programme.

In the application form, you will be asked to indicate the single subject courses you want to attend at unibz, which should be chosen before starting the application. You should only choose courses offered in the current semester (second semester) and in a language you understand. All courses will be offered on campus.

After having selected the single subject courses, you will be able to choose from a list of special language courses offered for students who fled Ukraine. On offer are a beginners A1 course for German and one for Italian, as well as an intermediate Academic English course.

If you are not interested in any single subject course but want to only attend language courses, you can, but you will not be entitled to any financial support.

application form

Support measures for academic staff and PhD students

Refugee professors and PhD students can get in touch with our offices to receive information about support measures in place.

Academic staff can get in touch with the Personnel Office Academic Staff while PhD students can get in touch with the PhD Office.