Skip to content

Free University of Bozen-Bolzano

Information for Italian citizens living abroad

Information for Italian citizens living abroad

Applying for a unibz study programme as an Italian citizen living abroad is not difficult at all. You only need to follow the instructions on this page and you will be able to start or continue your studies at unibz.

You can apply during all application periods offered for the study programme in which you are interested.

Language requirements

In order to gain admission to any unibz study programme, languages are the first requirement you need to fulfil. Check the specific language requirements on the programmes’ pages and upload a recognised language certificate or enrol in a language exam at unibz.

Applying for a bachelor programme

You need to have a qualification that is equivalent to the Italian secondary school diploma and that has been or will be obtained at the end of at least 12 years of secondary education. If the length of your secondary education cycle is less than 12 years, then the regulations set by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research apply.

If in your home country an aptitude test is required to gain access to higher education, you will need to include the results of that test when applying to our University. For some qualifications (e.g. UK and Greek qualifications), the Italian Ministry of Education has set specific admission criteria.

You will have to provide a Statement of comparability issued by the Italian Information Centre on Academic Mobility and Equivalence (CIMEA) to prove that your qualification gives you access to the Italian higher education system.

Get in touch with our Advisory Service if you have any question.

Applying for a master programme

You can check which qualifications are required for admission in the page of the master programme in which you are interested. You can apply either with a Diploma Supplement issued by your home university, with a Statement of comparability issued by the Italian Information Centre on Academic Mobility and Equivalence (CIMEA).

Checklist for your successful Application

  1. Apply online, following the guidelines detailed at the end of programme's page
  2. If you see your name in the list of the admitted students, pay the first instalment of the tuition fees to secure your admission.
  3. If you have not submitted a Statement of comparability or a Diploma Supplement (only for master programmes), you will need to provide one by the enrolment deadline.
  4. Enrol and come to South Tyrol in time for the new semester start.

Your First Days in South Tyrol

After you have enrolled, you will need to follow a few steps in order to organise your life in South Tyrol.

Scholarships and financial help

Students can apply for an income-based study grant to the Ufficio per il diritto allo studio universitario. The grants vary between €1,400 and €5,800 per year. If students obtain a study grant, they will also get a refund of the tuition fees. The student association sh.asus helps students with the application for this type of scholarship.

Those who, after the first year, get an average grade of 27/30 for their exams, are eligible to apply for scholarships based on merit rather than income.

Italian students living abroad can also apply for scholarships funded by the Ministero degli Affari Esteri (MAE, the Italian Foreign Office).