Skip to content

Free University of Bozen-Bolzano

Study in three languages

Nowadays, a degree is not enough. To seize the opportunities available on the global job market, you need to match the specific skills acquired during your studies with language competence.


We offer you the opportunity - unique in Europe - to study in Italian, German and English and to live in South Tyrol, a region at the crossroads between Mediterranean culture and economy and the German-speaking world.

Thanks to our international community of staff and students, speaking foreign languages is everyday reality for all of us: students, professors, researchers and administrative staff.

Language levels: entry and exit

unibz Study in three languages

In order to gain admission to unibz, you need to prove specific language levels based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, by the application deadline. Your competence needs to be proved by one of the recognised language certificates or through a computer-based language exam to be taken at our Language Centre.

Please read the list of recognized language certificates carefully: as you will see, unibz recognizes very many certificates, but no certificate older than five years from the date of issue will be accepted. We also accept other forms of certification with certain restrictions (for example secondary school diplomas of graduation). However, we cannot accept any certificate of attendance of language courses.

Language levels at a glance (pdf)

Providing proof of your language levels

The language proficiency requirements for admission (which can be found in the Study Manifesto of your preferred degree course) must be met by the stated pre-registration deadline. You can demonstrate your language proficiency in the following ways:

  • by providing a document that proves, when you apply online, that the main teaching language during the last year of secondary school is/was Italian, German or English (this corresponds to a C1 level of competence);
  • by providing a document that proves, when you apply online, that you have obtained a bachelor's or master's degree in Italian, German or English;
  • by uploading, when you apply online, a language certificate accepted by our Language Centre or submitting an affidavit in lieu of certificate;
  • by passing the computer-based language test set up by our Language Centre.

If you can already speak a third language (minimum level B1) and you do not have a certificate yet, we recommend that you take our language test to verify your level of competence also for this language.

More on the language exams

Apply here

Learning languages

The Language Centre will support you during your study programme, by offering free language courses, with different levels and formats (intensive courses before the first term and between the first and second term, and also 40-hour courses during the two semesters).

Learning Paths


In order to prepare freshers, every year in September the university holds pre-term courses, which aim at enabling students to attend classes that are taught in the third language. Attendance of these courses is highly recommended for all students who have not certified B2 in the their third language, but is indispensable for absolute beginners in their third language, because beginner courses are offered exclusively during pre-semester September session, and are never offered during the academic year.

Feedback / Request info