Skip to content

Free University of Bozen-Bolzano

Information for non-EU citizens living in Italy

Information for non-EU citizens living in Italy

Applying for a unibz study programme as a non-EU citizen living in Italy is not difficult at all. You only need to follow the instructions on this page and you will be able to start or continue your studies at unibz. If you are a citizen of an EEA-country or Switzerland, please check the specific page.

Non-EU citizens living in Italy can apply during all application periods, also those that are only for EU citizens. Non-EU citizens living in other European countries can only apply in the application periods for non-EU citizens.

Language requirements

In order to gain admission to any unibz study programme, languages are the first requirement you need to fulfil. Check the specific language requirements on the programmes’ pages and upload a recognised language certificate or enrol in a language exam at unibz.

Applying for a bachelor programme

If you have completed or will complete your secondary education in Italy, Germany or Austria, you can apply with your diploma. If instead, you have completed your secondary education in another country, you need to have a qualification that is equivalent to the Italian secondary school diploma and that has been or will be obtained at the end of at least 12 years of secondary education. You will have to provide a Declaration of Equivalent Value of such qualification issued by an Italian embassy or consulate.

If the length of your secondary education cycle is less than 12 years, then the regulations set by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research apply. If in your home country an aptitude test is required to gain access to higher education, you will need to include the results of that test when applying to our University. For some qualifications (e.g. UK, US and Greek qualifications), the Italian Ministry of Education has set specific admission criteria. Get in touch with our Advisory Service if you have any question.

Applying for a master programme

You can check which qualifications are required for admission on the page of the master programme in which you are interested. You can apply either with a Diploma Supplement issued by your home university (in an EU or EEA country), or with a Declaration of equivalent Value issued by an Italian embassy or consulate.

Checklist for your successful Application

  1. Apply online, following the guidelines detailed at the end of the programme's page.
  2. If you see your name in the ranking list of the admitted students, pay the first instalment of the tuition fees to secure your admission.
  3. If you have not submitted a Declaration of Equivalent Value or a Diploma Supplement (only for master programmes), you will need to provide one by the enrolment deadline.
  4. Enrol and come to South Tyrol in time for the new semester start.

Your First Days in South Tyrol

After you have enrolled, you will need to follow a few steps in order to organise your life in South Tyrol.

Scholarships and financial help

Students can apply for an income-based study grant to the Ufficio per il diritto allo studio universitario after one year of regular residence in South Tyrol. These income-based study grants vary between €1,400 and €5,800 per year. If students obtain a study grant, they will also get a refund of the tuition fees. The student association sh.asus helps students with the application for this type of grant.

Those who, after the first year, get an average grade of 27/30 for their exams are eligible to apply for scholarships based on merit rather than income.